BeLight Software Forum

Art Text 2.4 crashing Lion

November 9th, 2011, 9:41 am

Am I missing something or is the newest edition of art text completely incompatible with the Lion OS. Every time I use it on any of my three macs the program crashes. It never used to crash, but now I can't even complete a project. The website says it's updated for the Lion OS, but unless I'm missing something that doesn't seem to be the case.
pmwdjr

November 9th, 2011, 9:58 am

We are working on an update that should fix this bug.

Nick
Nick

November 13th, 2011, 7:17 pm

Well let's get it fixed. I've been using Art Text for a very long time, and these FREQUENT crashes are unacceptable! I need this program to work. Please, please, please correct the code so that we can get this to work properly with Lion, without crashing whenever we try to save the image.
encapman

November 14th, 2011, 3:43 am

Hi,

The update is already announced:
http://www.belightsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10615

Customers who purchased at App Store need to wait until the update is available there. All others can download Art Text 2.4.1 (v442) from the update page:
http://www.belightsoft.com/arttext/update/update.php

Nick
Nick

November 14th, 2011, 6:33 pm

Thanks! I've downloaded the update and it's working fine. Thank you.
encapman

December 7th, 2011, 2:40 am

Did the update hit the App Store already? Because here, the app crashes consistently every time I try to export to file, rendering it pretty much unusable...
yemartin

December 7th, 2011, 3:26 am

Hi,

The App Store version is 2.4.1. It's the same as on our web site. If it crashes, please give me these details:
1. The version of Mac OS on your computer.
2. What format you exported to, and how high was the resolution?
3. Please send your document to support@belightsoft.com with the link to this topic. I'll try to export and repeat the crash.
4. Also send me the console and crash logs saved after the crash. The crash log is displayed automatically. Copy all text from the crash reporter window.

To save the console log, open the Console application from the Applications/Utilities folder. Choose File > Open Quickly > System Log Queries > All Messages (on Lion) or File > Open Console Log (on an earlier Mac OS). Then choose File > Save a Copy As in the menu of Console to save the log.

Nick
Nick

December 8th, 2011, 9:58 pm

Hi Nick, and thanks for your quick reply. Here is the requested info:

1. Mac OS version: latest Lion (10.7.2)

2. Format exported: I don't get the chance to pick a format, the app crashes before that. My exact steps to reproduce a crash consistently are:

a. Lauch Art Text
b. Create a new document from any template
c. Click the "Export To..." button
d. Click "File..."

The app crashes instantly and consistently, just after that last click on "File...".

Note: I used "AppCleaner" to totally remove the app, then reinstalled it from the app store. It is still consistently crashing with the steps above.

3. It is not related to my document: it happens consistently with any new document from the template gallery.

4. Console log and crash log: may contain private info, so I will send them by email.

Note: I have a slightly non-standard setup (but not uncommon) where my user folder is on a secondary drive. So my "user" folder under "/Users" is actually a symbolic link that points to the real folder on the secondary drive. It has caused problems in the past (with Pixelmator, see this thread: http://support.pixelmator.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6758) But it may not be related this time, as I could reproduce the same error under a brand new user with a regular home folder.

Thanks for your help!

--
Yves-Eric
yemartin

December 9th, 2011, 11:26 am

Hi Yves-Eric,

Thank you for sending us the logs. We have fixed a problem similar to this in the last update. Probably the update wasn't successful. Please delete the application and re-download it from App Store.

Nick
Nick

December 11th, 2011, 1:02 am

I should have included Art Text version, sorry:

Art Text Version 2.4.1 (442)

I tried reinstalling from the app store just in case (after uninstalling with AppCleaner to be sure to remove support files too), but the same crash still occurs.

Thanks you for your help!

--
Yves-Eric
yemartin

December 11th, 2011, 7:47 am

Hi all
Nick, it seems that the last 2.4.1 (build 442) update is labelled 2.4 (442) when using Art Text>About Art Text menu item:

(downloading Art Text from the BeLight website not from the App Store)

yemartin, does Art Text crash when trying to export using File>Export… menu item?
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" C2D 2.33GHz
BeLight Community website
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

December 11th, 2011, 9:24 am

Jean-Jacques,

Thank you for the suggestion: using "File > Export..." menu item works fine. And not only does it work, it also temporarily fixes the problem: I can then use the "Export To.. > File..." button and it does not crash anymore... until I restart Art Text (then the button causes the crash again).

Anyway, the menu item works, so this can be downgraded from "showstopper" to "annoying crash"...

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you troubleshoot this issue.

Thanks again for your help,

--
Yves-Eric
yemartin

December 11th, 2011, 6:12 pm

yemartin wrote:Jean-Jacques,

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you troubleshoot this issue.

--
Yves-Eric

Hi yemartin
Sorry, I'm not one of BeLight developers, just one user of some BeLight applications (mainly SP, IT and AT).
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" C2D 2.33GHz
BeLight Community website
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

December 12th, 2011, 7:28 am

Yves-Eric,

Please send me a new copy of your crash and console logs. Maybe they are different from the previous logs.

Jean-Jacques,

I don't know how this difference in version numbers has happened. Just a minute ago, I have downloaded Art Text from our site. It displays "Version 2.4.1 (442)".

Nick
Nick

December 12th, 2011, 9:28 pm

Nick,

From the logs, it looks like the same crash to me, but anyway, I just sent by email another copy of the logs as requested.

Thank you for your help!

--
Yves-Eric
yemartin

Next

Return to Art Text